After Vietnam, we arrived in Bangkok, Thailand. We connected
in Malaysia on the way, which I really didn’t know was a country—just thought
it was from Zoolander. It looked like a fun, tropical place; maybe next time.
We found a taxi and messed around with directions. Apparently many taxi drivers
cannot read English, who would have guessed? I can imagine a Thai tourist
coming to New York and giving the taxi driver a note written in Thai. Better
yet, can you imagine a Thai tourist going to New York knowing one, maybe two
words of English? That was us in Thailand—American goofballs not speaking the
language.
Anyways, the guy nods and we get settled in. At some point
in the ride the driver realized he didn’t know where we were going so decided
to pull to the side of the road. In the middle of the highway. We sat on the
shoulder as he called random people asking them where the hotel was. We finally
get going again and begin to realize just how bad of a driver this guy is. I
have been in my share of taxis all over the world but this guy really took the
cake. I do not know how he could possible be a taxi driver. He was either sharply
breaking or gunning it all the way to the hotel and seemed to have no real
control over the vehicle. He almost hit a few pedestrians and was very close to
causing an accident or two, but somehow we made it to the hotel in one piece,
one lucky piece. Maybe I had left all the bad luck in the hotel toilet in
Vietnam.
We got settled and felt exhausted from the travel. Clayton
left a few hours later to pick up a special guest from the airport. This person
wishes to remain anonymous, for reasons I am not quite sure of, so I will give
her a penname. Let’s go with something fun and slightly Asian… Coco. So Clayton
endures another potentially dangerous taxi ride across the city to pick up his
darling Coco, and then uses his body to shield her from harm as he takes yet
another risky trip back to the hotel. Coco announced her presence to the hotel
room by loudly knocking on Robert and my door at 1am. It was a delight.
The next day we had a big tour planned. Robert, Clayton,
Coco, and I were picked up and we headed to a nearby hostel to pick up another
new member on the trip. SAMUEL WYZAN, a dear friend of mine that studied with
me in Valencia, who happened to be traveling Thailand the same time as us. Yea
right, he stalks me.
Our first stop was the floating market, a super touristy
market that is.. you got it: floating. It is sort of like a rural Venice, minus
the overpriced coffee. You sit in a long, thin paddleboat and are carted from merchant
to merchant all selling just about the same stuff.
A shot from my spot in the boat, note the authentic fan Coco is rocking.
We got out of the touristy
mess of things and enjoyed some local iced coffee. It was iced coffee, condensed
milk, and sugar. The sweetness was almost too much, but it was certainly
refreshing. Afterward, we got out and wandered around the market place, trying
to bargain with stubborn venders.
Then we headed back to the tour bus and were taken to death railroad. This was a bizarre stop on the tour. It was an obviously
touristy area surrounding the railroad that was constructed by imprisoned
Chinese. Many of them died of heat exhaustion and other diseases, giving the name
‘death railroad.’
Here is the crew, minus Coco, chilling at DEATH RAILROAD.
There were cheesy love songs playing, fruit for sale, and
tons of Asians taking weird pictures. There was a young Asian girl with a
photographer following her around. She was modeling and posing, throwing out
lazy peace signs and dramatic looks. They say imitation is the greatest form of
flattery, but we imitated her for the rest of the trip because she looked
absolutely ridiculous.
Next stop on the tour was the elephant bath. Now I know what
you are thinking, how do you fit in a bathtub with an elephant? I was thinking
the same thing. To my pleasant surprise, it meant you accompany your elephant
and trainer into a murky river with a strong current and participate in a
number of forced, awkward activities. Elephants are big--granted--and they
weigh tons, or a ton, I am not sure exactly. I read a nice review of the place
we went and said it was great, until one elephant had enough and threw a car
down a hill.
We follow our elephants down to the river where they are
standing in about three feet deep water. We are divided up, Robert got his own,
Clayton and Coco together, and Sam and I had the pleasure of sharing an
elephant. Romantic, I know. We awkwardly climbed on top of this massive, hairy
animal with the trainer and the elephants were commanded to squirt us with
water for about five minutes. Each trainer had a stick with a curved metal hook
on one side it would use to prod the elephant if it wasn’t cooperating. It
really calmed my nerves knowing the trainer behind me was poking the elephant
every couple of seconds. At least I could push Sam down and hopefully swim my
way to safety if anything went wrong.
Next we were instructed to play ‘Rodeo’ with the elephants.
Just what I was hoping for, and elephant bucking me into a shallow murky river.
We hadn’t signed insurance waivers. We mounted the elephant one at a time and
then were violently shaken back and forth until we fell off. I fell right next
to the elephant and surfaced looking right up into his eye. He could have
lifted his front leg and stepped on me. That would have been a way to go.
This is me getting thrown off the elephant, a sweet pic I think.
We then had a photo session with the elephants, the trainers
told us to sit on their trunks one at a time and they would lift us out of the
water for a picture. Brainwashing and animal cruelty at its finest. I am sure
the elephant woke up that morning just itching to lift heavy, soggy, ungrateful
tourists out of the water on their trunks. You get it by now, I felt bad for
the elephants.
Next we had a ‘water fight’ with them. We stood in a line and splashed the elephants and they were instructed to shoot water at us. I was just waiting for one of us to splash one of them in the eye and we learn the real definition of a water fight. It started raining as we were ‘playing’ with them, and it made the whole activity feel quite surreal.
After a few more pictures we were told to ride them to their
camp. Camp meaning the place where they were chained in between rides. Sam and
my elephant wasn’t listening very well, taking time to reach out with its long
trunk for the bushes along the way. It was yelled at a few times, and prodded
with the hooked stick by the handler who was walking next to it. We were about
twelve feet off the ground on top of a hungry elephant that was being made to
walk us soggy tourists back to the holding area. I didn’t have a worry in the
world. That was until the elephant sped up momentarily to stay ahead of the
elephant behind us. That was when Sam grabbed me for dear life. Or something
like that.
The next day in Bangkok involved cooking class, dancing,
lady boys, and scorpions. Stay tuned.


No comments:
Post a Comment